Hurray! A good example of rational thinking ...

> From: Robin Whittle
>
> > Dorthy Denning is a boot-licking fasicist!!!
>
> It may be emotionally satisfying to rail against (what for us may be
> evident as) the wickedness and stupidity of our opponents.
> [SNIP]
> If we nod our heads to "Dorthy Denning is a boot-licking fasicist!!!"
> then we too are succumbing to groupthink.

I must commend Robin for a well-said comment.

It is truly counter-productive to insist on conspiracy theories and
anti-government rhetoric.  Sure, there have been conspiracies in the
past.  Sure, there have been more than our fair share of atrocities.

However, the real issues are privacy, security, freedom of speech, and
effective policy enforcement.  When we start calling names like "jack
booted thugs" and the like, we are sinking to the same low levels that
Freeh and (more appropriately) Gorelick use when they cry wolf and
foretell futuristic electronic meltdowns.

More importantly, while the public is cynical and skeptical, it isn't
exactly embracing the right-wing militia movements either.  It would
be a great disservice to the cause if cypherpunks were, in the minds
of the public, tightly associated with the likes of Timothy McVey.

Ern