Re: COMPUTER THEFT, LOW-TECH STYLE

Robert> COMPUTER THEFT, LOW-TECH STYLE

Robert> A thief broke into a Visa International data processing center
Robert> in California a couple of weeks ago and stole a personal
Robert> computer containing information on about 314,000 credit card
Robert> accounts, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express,
Robert> Discover and Diners Club, says a Visa spokesman.

Not a big surprise. As we build increasingly secure systems, we shift
the weakest point of the entire system into the realm of physical
access. Honestly, I'm surprised that we don't see this  sort of thing
more often. (Or maybe they're just going undetected.) After all, it is
the weakest point at which a system will be attacked.

Robert> Authorities speculate that the perpetrator was stolen for the
Robert> resale value of the hardware, rather than the information it
Robert> contained.

Uh-huh. Wouldn't want to cause any kind of a panic among the masses,
would we? Noooo, not when the perception of our super-secure credit
card networks and other financial information infrastructure is at
stake. (And Watergate was a simple bungled burglary, right?)

--
Matt Curtin  [email protected]  Megasoft, Inc   Chief Scientist
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/   I speak only for myself.