NEWS.COM DAILY DISPATCH

***************************************

NEWS.COM DAILY DISPATCH
Wednesday, November 27, 1996
San Francisco, California, USA

***************************************

WELCOME!

***************************************

The NEWS.COM DAILY DISPATCH highlights the up-to-the minute technology news
presented by NEWS.COM. It tempts readers with coverage of today's hottest
stories, news in the making, (in)credible rumors, and other indispensable
information.

For complete versions of the stories updated all day long, head over to:

   http://www.news.com/?nd

***************************************

CONTENTS

SCOOPS AND TOP STORIES
     Online rivals Gates and Case circle each other
     Attention Comdex survivors! Need someone to feel yur paynnne?
     AOL's prix fixe might cause another service delay
     Intel's multimedia chip: More suitable for fun & games than business?

ANNOUNCEMENTS
     An easy way for you to customize NEWS.COM
     Late-breaking stories just a click away with Desk Top News
     Send us your questions, comments, flotsam, and jetsam

***************************************

SCOOPS AND TOP STORIES

ONLINE RIVALS GATES AND CASE CIRCLE EACH OTHER
The online world has become a killing field. CompuServe pulls the plug on
its consumer-based Wow service; Prodigy, at the bottom of the heap,
transmogrifies Kafka-like into an ISP. Now, as the mighty Web threatens to
consume all in its path, these two cyberbehemoths engage in a struggle for
the whole enchilada.

   http://www.news.com/SpecialFeatures/0%2C5%2C5770%2C00.html?nd

ATTENTION COMDEX SURVIVORS! NEED SOMEONE TO FEEL YUR PAYNNNE?
Okay, you've been through a lot, granted...but speaking out about your
Comdex trials and tribulations can help the all-important healing process
begin. So please, send us your war stories. We will publish the five best,
and the winners--picked on a totally subjective basis by our editorial
staff-- will get supercool CNET T-shirts. Send your tales to
[email protected], and include the words 'Comdex stories' in the subject
of your message. P.S. Don't forget to check out our comprehensive coverage
of the sublime and the ridiculous at Comdex '96.

   http://www.news.com/Comdex/?nd

AOL'S PRIX FIXE OFFER MIGHT CAUSE ANOTHER SERVICE DELAY
Just when you AOLers thought it was safe to go back online, the possibility
of another service glitch rises up on the cyberhorizon. Starting on December
1, AOL's 7 million users have the option of switching to an all-you-can-eat
pricing offer; the resultant "usage surge" may cause service delays,
according to a recent AOL announcement. Wise users might consider getting
their heavy surfing done this long weekend, once that turkey-induced coma
sets in.

   http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C5783%2C00.html?nd

INTEL'S MULTIMEDIA CHIP: MORE SUITABLE FOR FUN AND GAMES THAN BUSINESS
Intel's latest technological achievement, the MMX Pentium processor, would
certainly be ideal for running sophisticated business applications--that is,
if there WERE sophisticated business applications for it to run. At this
point, MMX seems more useful in entertainment and gaming settings than in
the executive suite. The $64,000 question: will developers build for this
flashy new kid on the block?

   http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C5782%2C00.html?nd

***************************************

ANNOUNCEMENTS

AN EASY WAY FOR YOU TO CUSTOMIZE NEWS.COM
So many bits, so little time? Sounds like you need Custom News. Identify
the topics, keywords, or sections you're most interested in, and Custom News
will a create a page of headlines and summaries for all stories that match
your criteria. Check it out at:

http://www.news.com/Personalization/Entry/1%2C21%2C%2C00.html?nocache=1

***************************************

LATE-BREAKING STORIES A CLICK AWAY WITH DESK TOP NEWS
How would you like having split-second access to the very latest news on
the Net? Our Desk Top News feature puts our 20 most recent stories right
there on your desktop for you to review at any time. Here's how it works:

1. From any story, click Desk Top News in the top right.
2. A window will open showing our last 20 stories.
3. Click on a headline to display the story.
4. Desk Top News updates itself every 30 minutes.
5. You become known as Ms./Mr. Cyber-Info. It feels good.

   http://www.news.com/Help/Item/0%2C24%2C12%2C00.html?nd

***************************************

SEND US QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, FLOTSAM, AND JETSAM
If you have any questions, suggestions or remarks, send us a message:

   [email protected]

CNET: The Computer Network
   http://www.cnet.com/
   http://www.news.com/