Re: denial of service and government rights

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Please forgive my naivete, but are there no legal
> > weapons available to the 'victims' in such cases?
> > I'm passingly familiar with the Operation Sundevil
> > fiasco -- i.e., with the outcome re the principal
> > 'charges'.  I'm appalled, however, at the apparent
> > lack of remedies for return of such seized property.
> > Are individuals who find themselves in such a
> > predicament simply at the government's mercy (there's
> > an oxymoron for ya)??
>
> Just in case someone replies saying "It's not all that bad", or "It can't
> happen here", etc., you should know this:
>
> The United States government has not been responsive to the people for
> a long time, but what's become evident in recent years is that they're
> also no longer responsive to basic law and order.
>
> They do respond to extreme pressure, as was applied in the Weaver, Waco,
> and other similar cases, but, as a general rule, they do whatever they
> want all the way to the top of the Justice dept. with impunity.
>
> Example:  George Bush's old pal at the Wash. DC P.R. firm hires the
> niece(?) of a Kuwaiti official to testify in front of Congress in full
> view of the American people on television, that the Iraquis were throwing
> babies out of incubators in Kuwait, thereby securing the necessary votes
> in Congress to prosecute the Gulf War.
>
> When it was discovered (after the "war") that the Incubator Baby Scandal
> was a lie, nobody was prosecuted.  Further, in blatant violation of the

Unfortunatly, the law doesn't say that the government _must_ prosecute,
only that it can.

> was a lie, nobody was prosecuted.  Further, in blatant violation of the
> U.S. Constitution, Bush and Schwartzkopf were knighted by Queen Elizabeth
> II of England.

This is not a violation of the Constitution.  The Constitution specifies
that US civil servants (or whatever we intend to call them these days)
cannot be knighted by a foreign country for services rendered to that
country.  So it would be [possibly] illegal for them to have been knighted
by Saudi Arabia or Kuwait, but not illegal (in this instance) for them to
be knighted by England.

> There are also numerous examples of the Justice dept. being caught red-
> handed forging documents to frame people for whom they had no evidence or
> insufficient evidence to prosecute, and what happens in those cases?
> Nothing.

Good point.

 --Deviant
   PGP KeyID = E820F015 Fingerprint = 3D6AAB628E3DFAA9 F7D35736ABC56D39

You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.