Re: Logos here

[Cc'ed to Bill Palmer himself. Bill, use 'Group Reply' button if you
want your replies to be seen by all participants.]

Dear LOGOS,

I suggest contacting Bill Palmer, [email protected]. You will find
that Bill's and your opinions on many issues are very close.

Best regards to both of you,

	- Igor.

LOGOS wrote:

> Sovereign collegues,
>
>      I am Logos. I have adopted this pseudonym to conceal my
> 'true name'. I want the ideas which I shall be espousing
> to stand or fall on their own merits and not on the basis
> of biases that my name, sex, ethnicity, etc. might otherwise
> elicit. I hope my contributions to this list will be seen as
> positive by most list members.
>      I intend to limit my postings to only two meta-topics:
> decorum and logic. In other words, the way we speak to each
> other and the quality of our argumentation.
>
> Decorum
>
>      From time to time, I will 'call' posters on their
> intemperate use of rude or provocative language. I believe
> Cypherpunks should be a market place of ideas, not a forum
> for egos and insults.
>      The two houses of the American congress have adopted
> rules of decorum. Members may be censored or expelled for
> personal attacks and verbal abuse of other members. This
> was mandated for a very practical reason. It was realized
> that insults, profanity, 'fighting words', etc. could get so
> out of hand that they could interfer with the legitimate
> work of the congress. While some might say that in the case
> of the congress, this would be a good thing, I believe in
> the case of Cypherpunks, it is a bad thing.
>      I, therefore, call upon each Cypherpunk list members to
> personally adopt such a code of conduct for themselves.  If
> Democrats can refer to Representative Gingrich as 'my
> esteemed collegue' and Republicans can talk about the
> 'honorable' Ted Kennedy, I see no reason that we cannot
> treat Tim May and Dimitry Vilus with similar respect and
> courtesy.  What is at stake is far more important than egos.
> Cypherpunks defeated Clipper, but of late they have only
> defeated themselves.
>
> Logic
>
>      The average reader of this list has sufficient
> education and intelligent to understand the most informal
> logical falacies. Yet one sees such falacies committed here
> with disapointing regularity. I will post definitions of the
> most common falacies and will use examples found on this
> list as illustrations. If we are to be persuasive among
> ourselves and with others, we need to be rigorous in our
> thought processes.
>
> I would be honored to hear your thoughts on this post.
>
> Logos out.

	- Igor.