Re: "Just call the police"...yeah, right

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Saying "just call the police" strikes me as being one of
> the most absurd things I've ever heard on this list.
>
> (If I receive a "Logos-gram" warning me I am being
> unpolite, you know where it'll go.)

The name of the informal logical fallacy Tim May has *not*
made is 'argumentum ad hominem' (literally, 'an argument
to the man'; attacking one's opponent rather than dealing
with the subject under discussion; aka name calling).

Having said that, while Tim May has not committed a logical
fallacy, neither has he advanced a logical argument.  He
has merely stated his conclusory opinion of the other
person's comment.  By itself, it adds little or nothing of
substance to the argument.

Logos out