PGPfone list

To: [email protected]
Date: Thu Dec 05 22:54:33 1996

[My apologies for cross-posting this, but it's important IMO.]

The list owners have given me permission to post an announcement of a list
for those of us who wish to play with the new PGP-fone software. This is a
list solely for the discussion of PGP-fone. It is to be low volume and on
topic, with none of the garbage that the cypherpunks are presently enduring
(my killfile filter gets enough of a daily workout as it is). Usual rules
apply on the posting of private mail without the other author's consent,
polite discussion, etc. Violators of these policies will likely be *truly*
"censored," (booted off the list, *and* unable to post).

To subscribe to the list, use the web based gateway at:

http://www.rivertown.net/cgi-bin/lwgate

[To prevent abuse, your subscription will be verified.]

PGPfone for Macintosh and Windows 95/NT can be obtained at these locations:

US/Canada users [like PGP, PGPfone falls under ITAR export restrictions.]:

http://web.mit.edu/network/pgpfone

International users:

http://www.ifi.uio.no/pgp/PGPfone.shtml

Current versions are:
Macintosh - version 1.0b7
Windows 95/NT - version 1.0b2

These versions DON'T talk to previous versions. Presently, the PGPfone
Owner's manual is a MAC file and unfortunately it won't open in the Windows
environment. Those of us who are MAC-impaired can use the on-line manual
available at:

http://www.pgp.com/products/fone_01.cgi

There is also a "PGP Fone Registry" at the Rivertown.net PGP-users site
(which is quite extensive and worth a look for other crypto-related stuff).
At this site, people willing to test PGP Fone with others can leave their
names and e-mail addresses, along with their area code and local telephone
exchange (first three digits) which indicates willingness to be contacted
via e-mail to possibly set up a time and place to use PGP Fone with each
other. It's very basic right now. You can access it at:

http://pgp.rivertown.net/pgp-fone

and follow the instructions to sign up. The biggest problem folks have had
with PGP Fone is finding someone else to use it with. This site can help
alleviate this. Rivertown.net also has a fine PGPfone icon by Mike Acklin.

P.S. I concur with Peter Trei on the Forbes ASAP big issue. Try to find a
Forbes subscriber and read it all. He left out one author, cypherpunk Bill
Frezza. I liked Bill's article best of all.

IMO, Buckley and Paglia unwittingly proved in their ASAP articles that it's
much easier to fashionably label yourself a "libertarian" than it is to
actually *be* one.
JMR

Regards, Jim Ray
DNRC Minister of Encryption Advocacy

One of the "legitimate concerns of law enforcement" seems to be
that I was born innocent until proven guilty and not the other
way around. -- me

Please note new 2000bit PGPkey & address <[email protected]>
PGP id.A7D63DA9 98 1F 39 BA 93 86 B4 F5  57 52 64 0E DA BA 2C 71