Re: Stinger Specs

>Stinger (AIM-92)  (Jane's #: 6604.331)
>152 x 7-14 cm  (l x d - span)
>Weight: 18 kg
>Warhead: HE
>Propulsion: Solid
>Range: 2-4 km
>Guidance: IR
>
>Exact effective range / altitude is not listed in the quick guide I have
>on my desk.  I will pull it out of a larger volume when I have time.

When I was doing my undergraduate work several of us built a heat-seeking
and homing circuit which we subsequently tested in a small (24-inch) solid
propellent rocket.  Four CO-2 cooled germanium sensors picked up radiation
from a small flat-topped piramidal mirror which drove fin servos to 'null'
onto (place its image atop the piramid) the heat source. One evening we
were able to 'shoot down' a lit cigarette tied to fence up in the hills
near the college from a distance of about 1/4-mile.

For some time we considered making available 'Visible Missile" plans/kits,
for a  few hundred dollars, which had everything except the easily obtained
zinc-sulphur propellent (would this be illegal given the laws passed since
the '70s?) so those interested in IR missile technology could learn from a
functioning testbed.  I did quite a bit of serious amateur rocketry in my
teen years through the Northrup Rocketry Club (So. Cal) and launches at a
site near Edwards AFB (they were happy to track our launches and make sure
there was no aircraft hazzard). Our 24-inch rockets reached speeds of over
1000 mph in about 1 second and altitudes of about 10,000 ft.  48-inch
rockets (still small enough for shoulder launch) could reach over Mach 2
and altitude/ranges of about 50,000 ft (all figures insignificant
payloads).

I'm certain I and many of my friends got much of our interest for math and
science and subsequent academic success from such hands-on activities which
were encouraged or supported by teachers, parents, corporations and the
government.  We were forced to solve real chemistry, math, engineering,
physics and material science problems.  This has all vanished is our zeal
to protect youth and society from any activity which might lead injury or
misuse.  I can't even find a place to buy a niece a real chemistry set as
tort laws have forced them from the market.  When considering the plumeting
interest and achievement of our youth in math and science we look nor
further for a reason.

-- Steve