Re: Redlining

Black Unicorn <[email protected]> writes:

> > That, essentially, is what a bank is.  I do not believe the government
> > should dictate which people you, or your bank, are allowed to lend to.
>
> Create a bank where the identity of the customers are unknown and you
> solve the redlining problem.

Supposedly in redlining the bank discriminates based not on the race of the
loan applicants, but on the location.  If they're unwilling to lend money
to buy a house in a "bad neighborhood" at the same interest rate they use
in a "good neighborhood", then chances are that they don't look at the
identify (race, income, etc) of the customers - only at the address.

I hope you're not suggesting that a bank should accept a house as collateral
without knowing there that house is. :-)

---