Re: Why PICS is the wrong approach

>If Firefly is an example of what PICS is or could become, the hell with
>PICS.  Firefly encourages and rewards group behavior and suppresses
>individuality.  Firefly would reward the discussion of the latest album
>by a Columbia or Capitol artist, and discourage discussion of material
>from independent (real independent) labels.  I know because I've been
>there and spent quite a bit of time trying to get a rating.

this is absolutely ridiculous. the rating system is designed to
be incredibly individualized. it uses sophisticated statistical
techniques to find the correlations in your UNIQUE ratings given
over a set of items with other people's ratings, and weighs
future ratings based on these correlations. it may be even
dealing with anti-correlations. in fact what you have, in effect,
is a system with *no* hardwired ratings. the ratings space is
different for *every*single*person* who uses the service.

"you know"? get a clue, please. these systems are not at all like
the record rating systems you get in stores. I sympathize with
your plight however and agree that the record labeling system
is a lame way to go about it. all the more reason to support things
like firefly and grouplens (another interesting system that may
have inspired firefly, do a yahoo search to find it). superior
rating systems will begin to flourish instead of inferior ones...