Re: Redlining

Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> Dale Thorn wrote:
> > Igor Chudov @ home wrote:

> Dale, the "bullshit" I referred to was not yours, it was something that
> you mentioned, so do not take it personally. I read your messages with
> interest.

Confucius say "To him that taketh offense, let him also take the gate".
(Sorry for the stupid pun, and I always assume the non-personal, but,
the subject begged for clarification.  I feel very limited in my
communication, given what I am thinking and trying to express it
clearly in English syntax.)

[snip]

> Absolutely agree. Another problem in measuring "environment" is
> that it is rather hard to quantify.

I would love to head up such a study, but with a difference: Instead of
doing purely passive research, which may have only an academic audience
(never minding the occasional Bell Curve etc. book), I would like to
impress my own training methods on the subjects, to see what their
physical and mental capacities really are (as far as my abilities
go, anyway), rather than simply watch.  It would be nearly impossible
(actually, probably impossible) in the USA to raise Black children and
totally isolate them from the mental awareness that a large segment of
the population has judgements about them having to do with their race.

Very sensitive people such as myself (and perhaps the Black children
under study as well?) know all too well the instant(!) impact that
such a realization and subsequent awareness has on a person's conscious-
ness (self-image, confidence et al), and how debilitating that awareness
can be in real life.  I don't think the studies reflect that. Then again,
to play Devil's Advocate for the studies, perhaps the studies just can't
be that broad in their scope, but, such a sensitive issue demands it.

[snip]

> It is a good question. To me, the study can be done by the worst assholes
> on the Earth. As long as their data can be verified and their methodology
> is known, I have no problem with personal biases of researchers.

There are so many factors, including (but not limited to) the unknown
agenda(s) of the senior persons in the money chain at the colleges,
think tanks, foundations, you get the picture.