Re: Executing Encrypted Code

At 7:34 PM -0800 12/19/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:

>You could also timestamp the software so that it only runs for a given
>length of time.  This will encourage people to upgrade regularly.  ;-)

Or to reset their clocks. Which is what many of us do when software is
about to "expire."

(The issue of enforcing "digital time delays" is an interesting one.
Usually this necessitates some variant of "beacons," presumably on the Net,
as the local clock can of course not be trusted or counted upon to be
accurate. I wrote a couple of articles on this several years ago...I'll see
if I can find them if there's interest.)

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"