Re: Code+Data separation

At 12:08 PM -0800 12/19/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>Are there any modern processors which keep the code and data separated?

Many modern processors keep separate L1 caches for code and data.  Sparc
architecture requires a special instruction to say, "I have just used data
operations to change this part of the program."  I assume that program
fetchers and linkers must use this instruction.

Keeping separate main memory makes program loading and in-memory dynamic
linking hard.  The linker's data is the processor's program.

Bill Frantz       | I still read when I should | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | be doing something else.   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | It's a vice. - R. Heinlein | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA