Re: Ebonics

Timothy C. May wrote:
> At 9:15 PM -0600 12/20/96, Matthew J. Miszewski wrote:
> >Jesus Tim.  You're letting your lilly white show.
> >-feeling-oppressed-by-every-law-in-existance-white-boy
> Yeah, Matt, in a free society I wouldn't have to "speak Ebonics."

The trouble with these f*&%^*&%^* do-gooder programs is that they
miss the point.  How are you going to teach anything using improvised
dialect?  It's just insane.

When I was working at Olympic Sales in El Segundo in 1981, my manager
was a very intelligent and very politically knowledgeable person. One
day I responded to something he said, where I said "shit, bro'" followed
by some jive talk like I've heard before, but couldn't really communicate
in, since I didn't have the experience.  To my surprise, he responded
with some more jive talk, and we traded jive for a minute or so until
I gave up.

It's something I'll never forget - gives me a good laugh whenever I
think about it.  But seriously, they're gonna codify this?  What bozos.