Re: Ebonics

At 09:32 AM 12/23/96 +0000, Omegaman wrote:
>> > from grammatically incorrect speech.  I can speak with grammatic
>> > perfection and a
>> > drawl so heavy it'll make your eyeballs hurt.
>>  Yeah. I thought the issue was understanding in the workplace; no
>>  matter
>> how gramatically correct your are, I can't understand you and so I
>> won't hire you.
>

>Re-read what I said carefully.  I "*can* speak"... I can also speak
>more clearly.  The same holds true, for speakers of "ebonics."
>and it is an insult to their intelligence to imply that they cannot
>or cannot easily learn to.

I am waiting for the "language police" to get ahold of Ebonics.  I can just
see inner city kids being told that they are not slurring their vowels
properly or any other of a thousand obscure rules of language.

Maybe the best way to kill a subculture's language is to codify it,
regiment it, and then force it to be taught in the schools.

What the hell this has to do with crypto, I have no idea...

---
|        "Spam is the Devil's toothpaste!" - [email protected]         |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |[email protected]|