Re: IDEA: "Site Cloaking" Technology

Anybody would care to comment on this?

At 11:43 AM 12/26/96 -0800, Chris Hind <[email protected]>  wrote on the
Extropian list:

>A few weeks ago, I came up with this idea for a new technique I like to
>call "Site Cloaking". It's possible to create a Perl CGI script that would
>grab a file or webpage from another site & display it for the user without
>telling the user the original location like a proxy. This way you could put
>a CGI script on your website with links to country-specific censored texts
>or webpages and not tell anyone the site locations so that they can't shut
>them down. A person could put up a so-called subversive webpage in that
>specific country and tell this proxy the address and thus protect the site
>without giving out it's real address forcing the ISPs in that country to
>scan ALL WEBPAGES on their servers making the process more difficult. You
>could put up any so-called subversive and censored information on your
>webpage and people could access them without getting shutdown because only
>the CGI script would know where the source site is and you could even
>cipher the script's site list so even the owner of the proxy website can't
>locate the sites. You could then have a website or even a web search tool
>where you'd load all these sites into and acquire even more sites because
>you'd be offering protection and the sites would stay up indefinately. If
>the FEDS get pissed, simply wipe the file and the list is gone but the
>sites remain.
>
>A person I talked to over IRC claimed that a CGI Perl script such as this
>isn't all that difficult to do but I myself have zero experience in
>programming Perl. Perhaps someone on this list who can program in Perl can
>try it?
>
>"Some people dream about worthy accomplishments while others stay
> awake and do them."

>Chris Hind ([email protected])                    Upward, Outward, ACTION!
>NeoReality (Personal)      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/6810/
>Ethereal Outlook (Extropian)
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/6810/outlook.htm

This seems complimentary to anonymous browsing (e.g., www.anonymizer.com).
I doubt that ciphering the site list can assure that the site can't
be found, as somebody could match incoming and outgoing requests.
A chain of "Anonymous Rewebbers" / Recloakers could help here.
An important thing here would be to make sure that the search engines can
still find the sites.  Other difficulties would be caching and getting
credits for ads.

Do you think it's worth doing?

Alexander Chislenko   Home page:  <http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/home.html>
Firefly Website recommendations:  <http://my.yahoo.com> ---> "Firefly"