Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

In article <[email protected]>,
Adam Shostack  <[email protected]> wrote:
> 	(Speaking of which, is a state
> university student ID considered 'government issued?'  How about a
> faculty or staff ID card?)

Well, when I fly they ask for 'government issued' picture ID, and
I present my UC Berkeley student ID for inspection.  They usually
grumble at me, but I grumble back, and in the end they've always
accepted it.  Try it sometime.  (And yes, my student ID is probably
eminently forgable -- it looks very ragged and unprofessional.)

P.S.  At JFK I had a guy tell me that they preferred to see my
social security card!  I was completely surprised, since it has no
picture, and (I think) says 'this card not to be used for identification
purposes' at the bottom.  Anyone know anything about this?