Re: New crypto regs outlaw financing non-US development

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Steve Schear wrote:

> I doubt the Executive order can be interpreted to mean U.S. citizens cannot
> purchase stocks of foreign companies engaged in crypto.  There are many
> companies (e.g., NEC, Siemans, Philips, ect.) which engage in development
> of crypto equipment which would not be exportable if they were produced in
> the U.S.  Can the gov't deny us the right to invest in these and other
> offshore companies?

You doubt but are you sure?  Potential investors are unsure as well.  The
executive order has a "chilling effect" on such investments, and could
affect their actual stock value.

The idea strikes me as an attempt to slow strong crypto development so
U.S.-sponsored escrow alternatives can be put into wide deployment.

It may also be a "trial-balloon" to see if the USG can get away with deny
individuals and corporations the right to invest in "non-approved"
technologies.  The current administration is hell-bent on imposing any
limitations it can.

All this makes me wonder why there is any doubt that this country has
devolved into a near police-state.  Compromise away your rights and you get
what you deserve.

 Omegaman <mailto:[email protected]>
  PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
 Send e-mail with "get key" in the "Subject:"
 field to get a copy of my public key