Re: Crypto reg clarification from Commerce Department

I believe that Kutz is speaking the truth. Keep in mind the paragraph with
which you're concerned is not the meat of what's being amended. That lies
in the next line, Section 736.2(b)(7)(ii), which reads:

  You may not, without a license from BXA, provide
  certain technical assistance to foreign persons with
  respect to encryption items, as described in
  Sec. 744.9 of the EAR.

"Technical assistance" is still troubling, but not as much as investment
would be. Assistance is aimed at training, and the regulations somewhat
exempt classroom discussions. Of course, the uncertainty and the potential
chilling effects are good reasons to continue with the court challenges.

-Declan

---