Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> Bill Frantz wrote:
> > (3) In order to limit the number of posting tokens, the list server will
> > only issue a few per day.  The lucky few who get them, everyone who asks
> > under normal circumstances, may be determined by an algorithm designed to
> > limit token collection by future attackers.  (This area is where this
> > proposal needs work!)[snip]
> Send a number of unique tokens to each subscriber each day.  Enforce a
> rule that only posts with valid current tokens may be accepted. The
> number of tokens should initially be very small (say, one per day) and
> then should be quickly increased to a sufficient number, like 10 or 20,
> as the subscriber shows a record of using tokens properly (as defined by
> acceptable content rules).[snip]

Why not have any list deal with a heirarchy of security, so that:

n-number of posters will use the highest level of security
m-number will use a lower level of security
k-number will send plain text

Flags can be assigned for various purposes:

What level of encoding I send my messages with
What level I can receive
Restrictions on delivery of my messages according to a table maintained
  by the list managers