Re: New crypto regulations

[email protected] (Gemini Thunder) wrote:

>Has magnetic media never been tested in court for freedom of press
>applicability?  What are the laws that outline the differences between
>magnetic media and printed media?  Specifically, the one(s) that
>permit the non-protection of magnetic media?

I have been thinking on this.

The government obviously does not want strong crypto in the hands of
 the public.  I see no reason why they will stop at the current
 legislation.

From the present point I can see 2 alternatives:
(1)  The ban on crypto source is extended to printed media.
(2)  The ban on crypto source in magnetic media is tested in court and

struck down as a violation of freedom of press/speech.

I still have enough faith to believe that (1) is unlikely.
What are the odds on (2)?  (I can't imagine it being upheld)
What are other alternatives?
(I am of the opinon that the "non-OCR-able" font scheme is unlikely.)

Also, what qualifies as "encryption" here?  Basic implementation of
an algorithm?  Full-blown programs? Hash functions?  Steganography
 (with/without additional encryption)?  Data after a CTRL-Z?  (Sorry,
couldn't help it)