Re: Internal Passports

> At 12:59 PM -0600 12/31/96, snow wrote:
> >Mr. May wrote:
> >> My SS card, issued in 1969 (and which I still have, surprisingly enough),
> >> says this. Someone said recently here on the list that this line was
> >> dropped in more recent years.
> >     I had to have mine replaced recently, and that line is no longer
> >_anywhere_ on the card.
> >     Did they change the laws regarding the use of your SSN as ID, or
> >are most people just ignoring it?
>
> At the bottom of my SS card are these exact words:
> "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES--NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"

     My original had that, the replacement doesn't.

     If you, or anyone else would like to see a scan of it, I can have it up
in about 30 seconds. Number obscured of course (not that it is hard to find
it other places).

> When I had to renew my California Driver's License, I was asked for my SS
> number...a new requirement. I pointed out that the SS number is not for
> identification. The clerk gave me a blank look and said I would not get a
> driver's license without an SS number. I gave in, preferring to fight other
> battles.
> (And I would surely lose this battle, probably even if I spend tons of
> money on mounting a legal challenge.)

     In Illinois, you merely have to request they not put it on the card,
supposedly in Missouri you don't have to have in put on the card if you
have a "religious objection", but I'd bet if you bitch loud enough at the
DMV office, you can get out of it.

Petro, Christopher C.
[email protected] <prefered for any non-list stuff>
[email protected]