Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> No correct period, for the same reason. To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, an
> OTP is an OTP is an OTP.

And IPGs algorithm is not OTP, so what you're saying is irrelevant.

> More dumbest information, from FAT BRAIN. If an OTP is used more than
> once, it is not an OTP by definition. Plaintext xor Plaintext, even in

Correction.  If I generate a completely random number, and use it in my
pad, and then generate another random number, and the 2 randoms happen to
be the same, they are still perfectly valid pads; as long as the numbers
were truly random.  Don't get me wrong -- its still stupid to use the same
one twice, and it defies the point, but it is not "not an OTP by
definition".

> derivative forms. Like so much of his dribble, that paragraph contains
> some words but I challenge anyone to tell us what it means. It simply
> does not say anything which translates into anything meaningful.

Stop describing what you write.

> Frequently, you fill in some, and maybe even all of the plaintext, if you
> have part of the plain text, for example if you have the partial signature
> of a message emanating from the White House of:
>
>        Wi      Jef            on
>
> You might reasonably conclude that the missing characters could be filled
> in to be:
>
>        William Jefferson Clinton
>

> Two plaintexts xored together can reveal much more than you might think.

This is, as they say, completely irrelevant.

> Don Wood

 --Deviant
   PGP KeyID = E820F015 Fingerprint = 3D6AAB628E3DFAA9 F7D35736ABC56D39

Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others.
                -- Berry Kercheval