M.M. / Re: Sovreign Right of Lawful Access

Mike McNally wrote:
> Somebody wrote:
> > This morning at the RSA keynote, David Aaron, the US Crypto
> > ambassador quoted the "Sovreign Right of Lawful Access" as
> > something that goverments were determined to preserve.
>
> Speaking as a private indiwidual, and not as a drone in the employ
> of IBM (don't get me started on the "but wait, key recovery *isn't*
> the same as key escrow" hoo-ha), that dude scared the piss out of
> me.

  That plinking sound you hear is the sound of NSA's bloodhounds
stamping the phrase, in reverse, on the bottom of their jackboots.
  "Sovreign Right" has that certain ring to it which suggests
the rhetoric of Dictators who imagine themselves to be Kings.
   "Lawful Access" has that "Of course, we will only use this
'right' against drug dealers.", kind of feel to it.

  Perhaps the student who popped RSA's test balloon could propose
the "Universal Right to Casual Access."

Toto