Atilla's opinion: "maybe Tim is the problem"

At 7:41 AM +0000 1/5/97, attila wrote:
>    swipe), and then there was Dr. Fred Cohen who attacled Tim on a
>    regular basis (but he was easy enough to get rid of after I checked
>    his credentials and exposed why he was fired from his professorship),
>    and now we have Dimitri and several more who are worse. Dimitri at
>    least has some good information and arguments.
>
>	you know, I've always given Tim a little slack on his occasionally
>    over-biased opinions, but...  maybe Tim is the problem; he just seems
>    to bring out the 'best' in people like Dimitri and now the list has
>    turned into a free-for-all of the outrageously obscene.

Fatuous nonsense.

Blaming me for the spewings of Detweiler and Vulis is bad enough, but
claiming that Dr. Fred Cohen was in a battle with me, or Aga is in a battle
with me, is absolute fabrication. I don't recall many interactions, if any,
with Fred Cohen, and "aga" goes straight into my trash can. Attila did not
mention David Sternlight, and recall that Sternlight and I did not get into
any flames, either. Nor did he mention Phill Hallam-Baker, with whom I have
also had no flames. In fact, I haven't been a party to many of the flames,
at least not as a poster. Not with Hallam-Baker, not with Cohen, not with
Sternlight...in each case, many others were involved in extensive flames.

This leaves Detweiler and Vulis. The archives contain the truth on why
these guys fixated on me as the object of their frustrations with the list,
should anyone seek the truth.

As to why my comments bring responses, there are likelier explanations than
Attila's "maybe Tim is the problem." For one thing, I write a lot of
essays, and launch a lot of threads...this alone implies responses are
likely. For another thing, I clearly state forceful opinions...not everyone
agrees with them, and on just about any such clearly stated opinion it is
likely that at least someone will disagree strongly, denounce me as a
racist or speciesist or elitist or whatever.

Finally, for reasons I won't speculate on here, a number of folks seem to
think of me as being somwhow closely linked to the list itself (more than
just posting frequency). Thus, when they lash out at the list they fixate
on me in some way as representing the things they dislike about the list.
(The other list founders, Eric Hughes, Hugh Daniel, and John Gilmore, are
not active on the list. Recall that Detweiler focussed roughly equally on
Hughes and myself as his "tormentors," and Vulis is of course even more
fixated on Gilmore than he is on me...I'll leave it to the abnormal psych
experts to diagnose their problems.

So, Attila, still think I'm the problem?

Those who think so are invited to add me forthwith to their kill files.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"