Re: Sandy and I will run a cypherpunks "moderation" experiment in Jan

"Mark M." <[email protected]> writes:

> To reduce the load on toad.com, I think it would be better to have
> just "cypherpunks" and "cypherpunks-unedited".  Messages approved
> for the moderated list would be tagged with an "Approved:" header
> and sent to both lists.  Rejected messages would still go to the
> unedited list, but would not have an "Approved:" header (this would,
> of course, require that the moderation software rename or delete
> "Approved:" headers).  The only problem with this is that the lag
> time for distribution of the unedited list might increase.

Other people are suggesting things like this.  I think it is a bad
idea to tag the -unedited version of the list with moderation
decisions, because then even the -unedited versions of messages would
be delayed until a moderation decision had been made.

Some people already have suitable mail/news filters, and would rather
make their own article selections.  Please don't make those people
wait for moderation decisions.

Instead, moderation summaries (for instance in NoCeM format) could be
posted to another list, for those who want to know about moderation
decisions.

No matter what happens, there should definitely be some address
through which people can receive a completely unedited, undelayed,
unmoderaded copy of the mailing list.  So if you want a tagged version
of the list, there should also be a cypherpunks-raw or something.