Re: The Upcoming DES Challenge

> > > It will NOT run as a screen saver.
> >
> >Too bad.  The screensaver paradigm is something the unwashed
> >masses can easily understand.
>
> I have been running the distributed prime search software (see my .sig) for
> about two months now. [2^1398269-1 is prime!] If you haven't tried this
> software, I'd urge you to do so now. Not only because it might make you
> famous, but because it will give you some ideas how a distributed DES crack
> might work.
>
> I always liked the screen saver idea, but a crack using screen savers only
> works while the screen saver is active. The mersenne prime program runs on
> the lowest priority thread under Win95/NT/Linux. It works even while you
> are working, using all the idle cycles it can find, while at the same time
> having no effect at all on any of the work you do. Install it and forget
> about it. It's better than a screen saver.

I agree with Lucky. It may not be as easy for the great unwashed to comprehend, but
the low-pri thread is the best way to go to maximize cpu time on the project. I too
am running the Mersenne software on my system (and 5 others), but that project will
go on hold once a stable version of the DES cracker is available.

Btw: the person implementing the software may want to take a look at the software
the GIMPS search is using. It is simple, yet effective.

amp

Name: amp
E-mail: [email protected]
Date: 01/07/97
Time: 06:51:34
Visit http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum

EARTH FIRST! We'll strip mine the other planets later.