Re: IBM Key Recovery Propaganda on United Airlines

Bill Stewart <[email protected]> writes:

> The commercials between the movie and news show on the airline include an
> IBM spot on their new Key Recovery software.  Sigh.
>
> The explanations they gave were mixed; one person was talking about
> making sure that if you lose the key that people with a legitimate need
> to access the material can do it.  The other example they gave, with
> pictures, was along the lines of
> "Suppose you're going on vacation and you want to leave a key with
> a neighbor to feed the dog.  A safe way to do it would be to put your house
> key in a lockbox that needs several keys to open it, and give those keys
> to people you trust."  Yeah, right - cops can get in, but Dog's gonna get
> pretty hungry....

I've been playing around with marina's new ibm thinkpad (real cool
machine) and it allows one to password-protect the hard disk. The
docs claim that if you forget the password, no one will be able to
unlock it for you. Sure... Now why isn't that export-controlled? :-)

---