Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

At 07:14 PM 1/10/97 -0500, Ray Arachelian wrote:
>Sandfort isn't the only one who will do this, there will be a pool of
>moderators. Regardless of your personality conflict, I am sure that Sandy
>will remain fair and allow appropriate posts from you through. i.e.
>anything to do with crypto. :)

Just for the record, I have volunteered to serve as a co-moderator. I do
not know at this time if my services will be required. I am certain that I
would not enjoy this job. I have better things to do than moderate
Cypherpunks. But as a long time subscriber, I care about the list. I see
only one alternative to moderating Cypherpunks. And that is shutting it
down to let other lists pick up the various parts of the discussion. Hard
core crypto can go to Coderpunks, crypto and politics can go to
Cryptography. The drivel and whining can go to hell. I am willing to give
the moderation experiment a chance. If it doesn't work, I will advocate
shutting down the list.

As with every TAZ that stays up for too long, Cypherpunks eventually got
infested by vermin. Vulis, aga, et al. come to mind. In my experience, once
that happens there is only one solution: take down the TAZ and start over
somewhere else. The problem is always the same: the belief that "anarchy"
means that you have to tolerate people shitting on everybody's floor.
Anarchy means no such thing.

[Since I filter on Vulis and aga in the body text of all incoming email, I
am unlikely to read any replies to this post. Of course, if I was to serve
as a co-moderator, I would read all messages and decide on them individually.]

Thanks,

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred
   Make your mark in the history of mathematics. Use the spare cycles of
   your PC/PPC/UNIX box to help find a new prime.
   http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm