Re: Newt's phone calls

Alan Bostick wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Michael Tighe SUN IMP wrote:
> > Bill Stewart writes:[snip]
> (Someone mentioned that they thought cordless phone intercepts weren't
> illegal the way cellular phone intercepts are.  IANAL, but I recall that
> intercepting both was made illegal by the same legislation.)
> Of course, if the phone in question was a cell phone that happened to
> be stationary -- like a handheld phone in someone's back yard or in a
> restaurant or whatever, the question of the call jumping cells is moot.

Cell phone monitoring is illegal everywhere.  Cordless phones are
on a state-by-state basis (illegal in Calif.).

The purpose of the legislation is so that when the feds etc. catch
someone in a major violation (scanning businesses and selling
competitive or security info, whatever), they have a statute to
prosecute on.