Re: New US regs ban downloadable data-security software

On 14 Jan 1997, Nelson Minar wrote:

> [email protected] (Lucky Green) writes:
> > Commercial data security software of any kind, regardless if it uses crypto
> > or not, is however prohibited from being distributed via the Internet or
> > being exported by any other means.
>
> I can at least vaguely understand the rationale behind restricting the
> export of cryptography. But I don't even begin to comprehend
> restricting the export of data security software. What is going on
> here? Whose idea is this, what is the agenda?
>
> Is the US government really prepared to take on all the producers of
> virus protection software? Symantec and IBM are pretty big players to
> upset. And they don't even have the "drug dealers and terrorists"
> bugbear to defend this particular export restriction.
>
> In my more cynical mood I'm afraid that what's going on is the US
> government is trying to protect its capability to wage information
> warfare. Could they get away with this?

A cynical person might think that this gives the government one more way
to strongarm companies which might sell non-GAK encryption products.
"Sure, I can ok the export of your new anti-virus software.  Say, how's
that crypto plug-in your working on?"