Re: Newt's phone calls

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Steve Schear wrote:

> Yes, you need a device which can simultaneously listen to the
> paging/controll channels and determine, when a handoff to a monitored
> conversation occurs,to  which new channel pair they have been assigned.  I
> seem to recall such a device was for sale a few years back using a ISA/EISA
> card and some DOS compatible software.  It connected to the ubiquitous and
> well characterized Oki 900 cell phone.

  I've also heard that some have hacked cellphones so that they can
become a 'clone' of an existing phone, receiving all commands to swap
channels, etc. But not sending anything back to the cell sites. (This is
different from the usual cloning that goes on where they duplicate the
phone and use it to run up enormous bills). I haven't found any concrete
refrences to this in my recent browsing though, so it may just be a
vapor-hack.

  Brian

----
  www.eskimo.com/~nexus      Nexus Computing     ftp.eskimo.com/~nexus