Re: Debunking rumors -- Re: ARKANSAS BANS PHONE SCRAMBLERS

>On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
>> Time to debunk this rumor.
>> I just spoke with the Arkansas state police, who told me:
>> "It wasn't put out by the state police. [If anything] it must be a city
>> ordinance from some city. That state police definitely didn't do it."
>> -Declan

>> >[email protected] ("John C. Randolph") quotes Charles R. Smith
>> >
>> >I called the Arkansas State Police, 501-221-8200, to try to verify this,
>> >and they're "going to have somebody call me back."  I'm not holding my
>> >breath...
>> >
>> >If anybody has a definative source on this, I'd love to see it; it's
>> >mindboggling.
>> >
>> >thad

The strangest part of this story is that I haven't even heard of the product
they've described above.  The number given sounds like a serial number, NOT
a product number.  Somehow, I think that it would have been covered around
here by now if it were real.

Jim Bell
[email protected]