Re: Newt's phone calls

Sarah L. Green wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Bill Frantz wrote:
> > At 7:07 PM -0800 1/14/97, Eric Murray wrote:
> > The 1935 communication act made it illegal to pass on what you had heard
> > when listening to certain radio services.  Listening was OK.  Telling
> > others wasn't.

>         A more recent act made it illegal to monitor celular frequencies,
>         and to make equipement that receives or could easily be
>         modified to receive cellular frequencies.

Scanner manufacturers have been getting around a lot of this by putting
ever more of the scanner's intelligence on EEPROM or flash chips, and
providing a computer interface to the scanner.

Software to do the rest can be gotten thru the web, or thru addresses
in 2600 or 411 magazine. I'm getting anxious to get a new scanner that
can follow the cellular hopping, ditto for police using the new trunked
systems that also hop frequencies, ditto for decoding digital, and for
decoding other common scrambling like the crap that Motorola puts out.