Re: [Math Noise] (fwd)

Jim Choate allegedly said:

> [...]

No, that's not what he is saying.  What you have written does not represent
a *specific* number.  He is saying that IF you have a particular scheme for
representing *specific* numbers, you can only represent countably many
-- for any given scheme, there are numbers you can't represent.

To put it another way a scheme that says "you can represent numbers
as half infinite strings of digits with a single period somewhere"
doesn't actually *specify* any numbers.  A scheme that says "start
with the number 1 and increment it 400 times" actually specifies a
number.

> And I contend that ANY number which is Real can be expressed by the decimal
> expansion above. Which clearly qualifies as a formal system.

To be a formal system of the type required, you would also have to
specify deterministic rules that could generate the "Ai" values.  The
key distinction is between "expressed by" and "generated by".

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
[email protected],[email protected]		the thief he kindly spoke...