Fighting the cybercensor. (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 13:50:15 -0500
> From: "Phillip M. Hallam-Baker" <[email protected]>
> Subject: Fighting the cybercensor.
>
> Singapore and China are blocking certain net groups. I think
> this is a bad thing, question is how can we stop it?

'We' shouldn't, it is their own country and it is up to their populace to
stop it. Do you really want Singapore or China having a say in how we run
our web? I certainly don't, and won't support any move to force any
particular view on them. If Billy-Bob wants to shoot himself in the foot,
let him. Might be purty funny to watch.

> The Web was conceived as offering despots and dictators a choice
> between remaining in the dark ages and allowing freedom of
> speech. Blocking and filtering schemes threaten this ideal.

Bull, the web was conceived so physicist and other researchers could share
data in a easily digestible format. The web and technology in general have
no more ethics or morality intrinsicly in them than a 5/8" open end
wrench. Blocking and filtering are an expression of human choice and the
implimentation thereof. You don't like it, don't live there and don't try to
call there. You or I have no more right to be on a Chinese or Singapore
Internet than they have in coming into yours or my home without an invitation.

                                                      Jim Choate
                                                      CyberTects
                                                      [email protected]