Re: The Politics of Export Restrictions

Agreed. It's the Republicans who are the most adamantly pro-crypto. They'd
love to use it as a noose to hang Gore in 2000. If Gore switches positions
-- which I think unlikely -- it'll just be another area where both parties
agree. A minor point: since Gore has been the chief crypto-critic of this
administration, if he switched he'd leave himself open to charges of
waffling.

Then again, some administration officials tell me they expect this debate
to be resolved within a year, so go figure.

-Declan