Re: Workaround for filtering/cybersitter

In <[email protected]>, on 01/30/97 at 11:53 AM,
   Pavel Korensky <[email protected]> said:

>Nice, but I can see one problem here.
>If I (as a censor) will want to block your communication to prohibited sites, I can block
>the access to the proxy computers. You will just move the blocking strategy one level up
>with your plug-in. The censor will block the web servers AND proxy servers. Because the
>list of proxy servers must be available somehow to users, it is very simple to write some
>kind of script running on the gateway which is blocking the acccess. The script will
>download the list of proxy servers, update the gateway tables and the gateway will be
>blocking acccess to all sites on the proxy list.

In addition to this I (as a censor) would make it Illegal to access, read,
possess the information on these "blocked" sites. Add some keyword monitoring to the
gateway along with logging. This will allow me to selectively go after those who try to
circumvent my censoring attempts.

I would also want to make the ISP's liable for their users accessing this info. That way I
can intimidate them into doing all the work for me. (You can see
this approach in several areas of US law enforcemant. Arrest bartenders for
serving minors, arrest store clerks for selling cigaretts to minors, shut down of BBS for
users posting "dirty pictures", going after ISP's for pirated
software and other copyright infringments by their users.)

Whenever I did decide to prosecute someone I would make it a big public show
for everyone to see with very stiff penalties. After several of these trails the "sheep
factor" will keep 99% of the population in line (US Crypto policy is a prime example).

The point I am trying to make is that for the censor his set-up does not need to be that
sophisticated as fear and intimidation will keep 99% of the
rank-and-file in line. As for the other 1%, well they already know who they are and new
laws will only help take care of that "problem".

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger [email protected] for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: OS/2: Your brain.  Windows: Your brain on drugs.