Re: Cats Out of Bags

> "When I talk to other governments," [David L. Aaron] said,
> "they still don't feel that the cat is out of the bag."

Aaron's denying that the cat is out of the bag?
He was fashionably dressed in a Lion Tamer's outfit,
waving a whip, and trying to herd hundreds of small furry mammals
to jump through a hoop and back into a clawed-up army duffel-bag!
"Cats?  Haven't seen any cats around here!  Pay no attention to these,umm,
Siberian Hamsters that I'm evaluating for export approval."

> "Other governments were upset with the 56-bit export allowance.
> They said it was going to undermine their national security."

On this point, the other governments are correct.
It really _is_ tougher to maintain a nation-state when your
former subjects can have private conversations with each other
and with other governments' former subjects......
And even 56 bits is a start.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)