Re: Crypto in New Zealand - an update

At 06:03 AM 2/2/97, [email protected] wrote:
[...]
>The following week Andrew Mayo wrote a letter to the editor of the NBR
>containing an eloquent defense of the use of encryption to protect personal
>privacy.  MFAT replied to say that they were only following orders, and were
>required by the Wassenaar agreement to restrict crypto exports:
[...]

Just for clarification, it is the Wassenaar *arrangement* (somehow the term
is more fitting anyway...) and it does *not* require the signatory
countries to implement crypto export controls.

Not that this will make any difference, since it would be the first time
that a government would allow facts to stand in the way of politics.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi