Moderation [Tim,Sandy]

Since it seems to be the topic of the day, here are some of my thoughts on
moderating CP.

o Moderation achieved what it could achieve. Spam is no longer clogging up
the list. Insults, i.e., "Tim Mayo fucks children", are no longer polluting
the list.

o Moderation did not achieve what it couldn't achieve. The level of noise
has been reduced, but signal has not been increased. This is sad, but true.
The attempt was probably bound to fail, since many of the "top signal
generators" have long left the list and are not about to come back. All
that is remaining are a few diehards, such as myself, some TLA goons
(knowingly or unknowingly) working against the cause, and many newbies and
observers.

I believe that Cypherpunks is beyond hope of recovery. In fact, each day
Cypherpunk (as in [email protected]) lives on, it does damage to the
cause. Let's kill the list. Once and for all. Let the hard core crypto go
to Coderpunks, the politics to Cryptography, and the garbage into the void.

I am well aware of the name recognition and reputation capital associated
with CP, still I believe it best to *kill the list*.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi