Re: what's in a name?

Wei Dai allegedly said:

> I've stayed out of the debate about list moderation so far, but a recent
> post from [email protected] reminds me of something I've been
> thinking about.  An interesting way to look at what happened is that John
> Gilmore owns the name "[email protected]" and has chosen to exercise
> that ownership.  Even though those of us who disagree with the way he has
> done so are free to leave and set up our own mailing list, it is costly to
> do so, and the problem of central name ownership remains.  List
> subscribers have made investments that are specific to the name
> "[email protected]", and most of the cost of switching to a new list is
> in the new investments they would have to (re)make.  The fact is that a
> promise of no censorship is not enough incentive for us to do so.
>
> I suspect that the hierarchical nature of name ownership on the Internet
> today will be an important technological barrier for the establishment of
> truly anarchic virtual communities.  Unless this problem is solved, the
> closest we'll come is pseudo-anarchies that exist with the tolerance of
> beneficent dictators.

While the name hierarchy may have some effect similar to what you
suggest, I think the real issue is more likely economic hierarchy --
toad.com is a name of some value, true, but toad.com is also a T1
connection and some compute power that many people simply can't afford.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
[email protected],[email protected]		the thief he kindly spoke...