Re: anonymous remailers

At 05:40 PM 2/6/97 -0500, you wrote:

>[email protected] (Charley Musselman) writes:

>> C'punks --

>>         When I told a friend about the alt.drugs.pot cultivation newsgroup

>> and suggested that he use an anonymous remailer to post to the group,

>> he laughed and said, "Who do you suppose runs the remailers?  ATF,

>> FBI, DEA, that's who!"  Gee, it makes sense to this paranoid.  Does

>> anyone know the answer?  Specifically, how can we choose a trusted

>> remailer?

>The solution is not to choose a trusted remailer, but to choose a

>group of remailers and send your message through each one

	I run an anonymous remailer. I have a mixmaster type at [email protected] nd a

cypherpunk type at [email protected]. Also, there is a WWW interface at

http://www.wazoo.com/~remailer.

	I know that my system doesn't keep any recorders except number of messages

that go through. I am a "secure remailer". Before I set up the remailer, I

did a lot of soul searching, knowing that somewhere along the road I could

help a "baby raper" or something else I find morally objectionable. I came to

the conclusion, and I still think it is the right conclusion, that the public

service offered by an anonymous remailer far outweighs the disadvantages of

potentially helping someone I personally find objectionable.

	Setting up a remailer, for someone that is already running a domain, is easy

enough to be almost trivial. With the explosion of domains the internet has

seen in the past couple of years, at least some of the remailers have to be

honest and not fronts for the DOJ, FBI, and whatever other alphabet

orginizations...

	Obviously, you are thinking that any FBI agent that wanted to could post

this exact message, and YOU ARE RIGHT!

	Take advantage of a string of remailers. Use proper encryption, so that none

of them know more than the next hop. Make sure you vary the order of

remailers you go through with each message.

	Being cautious, you can be almost 100% certain your message is anonymous.

Chuck

Sys Admin...

Wazoo's Computers

======================================

PGP key for [email protected] available from all public key servers of by

fingering: [email protected] file available by sending mail to

[email protected] with a subject of remailer-help

For those that missed or already deleted the list, here are some places to

find more about remailers:

http://WWW.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/cypherpunks/remailer/

http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers/index-anon.html

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~raph/remailer-list.html

Computers

*</color> Alamogordo's Internet Access Provider