distributed mailing list architecture

Igor Chudov <[email protected]> writes:
> I'd suggest a simplier solution: to connect each server with a couple,
> or maybe three, other servers. This scheme is rather robust, does not
> consume too much CPU time and bandwidth, and is easy to implement.

I'm not sure what the architecture you are suggesting is, but this is
what I suggest as the simplest to set up.

Have one main majordomo.

Have many mail-exploders.

You subscribe to the main majordomo request address, and it forwards
your subscription request to a random mail-exploder.

You unsubscribe to the main majordomo request address, and it forwards
your subscription to all the mail-exploders request addresses
(unsubscribe traffic is low anyway, keeping track of who is subscribed
where at the main major domo doesn't seem worth it).

Each person who wishes to run an exploder is subscribed (manually) to
the main majordomo.

You submit articles to the main majordomo, and it sends copies of the
articles to it's subscribers (the mail-exploders).

The mail-exploders send mail to the address on their subscriber lists.

(John Gilmore suggested this architecture, as a simpler alternative).

Adam