Re: alt.cypherpunks.*, cypherpunks@*.*

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
alt.cypherpunks)

At 9:02 AM -0500 2/19/97, Mullen, Patrick wrote:
>I just got my news admin to add alt.cypherpunks.  Unfortunately, I can't
>remember the names of the subgroups (which weren't added), and I
>deleted the mailings which listed them.
>
>If I remember correctly, they were along the lines of
>
>alt.cypherpunks.technical
>alt.cypherpunks.social
>alt.cypherpunks.announce
>alt.cypherpunks.ebonics :-) Sorry, couldn't resist!

Patrick reminds us of why a simple name like "alt.cypherpunks" is
preferable to an extensive hierarchy: "I can't remember the names of the
subgroups."

It was a mistake, I believe, to create the various subgroups, and I hope
they fail to propagate.

I'd rather use more capable newsreading tools to scan _one_ group and
follow interesting threads in it than try to remember what got posted
where. And I especially don't want to see the predictable carping about how
some topic "belongs" in one of the other groups!

And many will simply cross-post their stuff to more than one of the groups,
trying to guess which are most relevant, which are being read by enough
people, etc.

Even at a hundred messages a day, a single group is easily managed. And
having four of them will not cut the traffic in the main group
significantly.

--Tim May, who plans to only post to the main group.

--
Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!