Re: OECD Waffles

>2-4-97. Reuters:
>
>Global group fails to endorse Clinton encryption plan
>
>Washington: An influential economic research group is preparing
>guidelines on computer encryption for its member countries but
>will duck some of the most contentious issues involved, according
>to a draft obtained by Reuters.

[snip]

Gee, that's funny....

I could have sworn I heard the Hon. Abassador Aaron tell us last week
that the US had "strong international support" for its' key
recovery programs, especially from the OECD.

Here's a quote from an earlier Reuters article:

>   Wednesday January 29 3:26 PM EST
>
>U.S. Encryption Envoy Seeks Industry Cooperation
>
>   SAN FRANCISCO - The Clinton administration's newly named point man on
>   encryption policy is citing international support for U.S. policies
>   limiting use of encryption and called for industry cooperation.
>
>   Ambassador David Aaron, special envoy for cryptography, said on a
>   speech to the RSA Data Security Conference in San Francisco that U.S.
>   allies support the concept of lawful access by governments and the use
>   of key recovery mechanisms.

and a quote from the NY Times:

>The New York Times, January 29, 1997, p. D19.
>

> Consensus Sought on Computer Coding
>
> By John Markoff
>
> San Francisco -- The Clinton administration's top overseas representative
> on cryptography -- or data scrambling -- told a group of skeptical
> computer industry executives and technical experts Tuesday that important
> allies support the administration's position that governments should have
> access-coded computer files and digital communications.
>
> The speech by David L. Aaron, made on the opening day of a computer
> security conference, was part of a renewed effort by the administration
> to gain broad support for its efforts to control data-scrambling
> technologies, which are increasingly viewed as crucial components of
> electronic commerce and communications.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, I say, that a representative of our government
would mislead us in this way.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:[email protected]>

Warning: Objects in calendar are closer than they appear.