Re: Excerpt on SPAM from Edupage, 11 February 1997

jim bell wrote:
> At 02:05 AM 2/14/97 -0600, snow wrote:
> >Pete:
> >> 	Yes, but why does monetary compensation make it then O.K.?  I'd rather
> >> pay for my Internet access, then be bombarded by spam, no matter what
> >> they paid me!  I think the best soln. is the one that is currently in
> >> place for phone calls - they can call once, but if I tell them not to
> >> call me again and they do, I can then begin legal action against them.
> >> I pay more per month for my phone service than my Internet service (
> >> although in NY, *everything* is more expensive. ), and junk phone calls
> >> are way more intrusive then spam.
> >
> >	I figure if this scheme comes to fruition, I'll just set up a seperate
> >account (or procmail) to filter out the spam, deposit the coin, and go on
> >about my business.
>

> That's fine...that's EXACTLY the way the system would work!  Intentionally
> so!  The purpose of the payment is not because the sender feels some sort of
> legal obligation to pay; rather it's analogous to a tip to a waiter.
>
> The sender makes the payment based on however much he _wants_ you to pay
> attention to his message, but fully aware that there is no guarantee that
> you'll do so.

I can suggest a scheme where a fee would be attached to the message,
and the recipient would be able to get the money only after having
read and understood the message.

For example, you might receive the following message (it could be encrypted
by your public key to preserve the cash from the MITM):