Re: The EFF

aga wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:
> > Toto wrote:

> > > I have a brother-in-law who gives seminars to the Nouveau Riche in
> > > the Bay Area, teaching them how to give their money away to 'good'
> > > causes. I believe that one of the prime considerations in separating
> > > the 'good' causes from the 'bad' causes has something to do with the
> > > the proper wine being served with the cheese and cracker offerings
> > > during their cocktail parties.

> > Wine and cheese are the key.  You hit that one on the head.  I tried
> > those Mensa parties in Beverly Hills a few times, but the girls want
> > you to kiss their hands like some kinda princesses or something,
> > whereas I think a simple handshake would suffice.  So I just quit
> > going.  Maybe this has something to do with why there are no c-punks
> > meetings in the L.A. area.

> Dale, so you are in mensa?  Did you have to take a test?

I joined in 1986 at the urging of my sort-of lawyer (not a real
lawyer, but much better actually) from Beverly Hills.  He liked the
parties since he was trolling for babes; recent (1986) divorce and all.

Anyway, Mensa was accepting U.S. Military GT scores prior to 1980,
and I scored 153 in 1966, which was the highest at the several posts
I did duty in (Ft. Benning GA, Ft. Ord CA, Ft. Lee VA, 4th A.D. Europe).

I gave up on it after a few meetings, since I didn't care for the
parties, and there didn't seem to be any really active/interesting
people there.  There was a "rational sig" I wanted to attend, but
never got around to.  Mensa did put on some good speakers every now
and then, but you could do as well by checking in with the Masons
or the other local civic groups.