The Science Generations, II

Just a short update to our discussions regarding the 'dumbing down' of America.

Although Gilbert appears to have gone out of the business I did find a few
chemistry sets at my local hobby store.  They were certainly a far cry from
the bunsen burner and lab glassware I grew up with, they all appear to use
micro amounts of reagent in pipette tubes.  I doubt they will generate the
excitement we experienced.

BTW, regarding the difficulty in obtaining chemical reagents (unless you're
in a qualified educational program or professionally employed at a large
industrial company), I came across a relatively new company targeting the
amateur scientist, Chemical Resale of Santa Barbara
<http://www.sb.net/wirehead>.  It carries only a limited selection and
prices seem very high (undoubtedly due to his small volume).

Regarding amateur experiments with 'real' rockets, the Fed have passed a
plethora of laws effectively resticting what non-governmental bodies may
investigate.  See 14 CFR PART 101, 22 CFR Sec. 121.16 and 49 CFR Sec.
173.88. I guess I can't play with matches anymore.  Thank you Congress.

--Steve