Re: 128_bit

>2-26-97. Newsbytes:
>
>Security Dynamics Unveils RSA SecurPC 2.0
>
> Wokingham, England, By Steve Gold. Security Dynamics has unveiled
> RSA SecurPC 2.0, the latest version of its software-based
> encryption software. The package is claimed to the first 128-bit
> encryption software to be exported from the US and its territories.

	No such luck.  This is a press report that seems a little
confused... which is say that it is, at least, a bit premature.

	SecurPC has a useful feature which allows for a self-decrypting
file to be created with its 128-bit (symmetric) RC4 cipher.  RSADSI got the
NSA to agree that this self-decrypting file could be transmitted outside
the US because the packaged implementation is restricted to merely
decrypting the file -- with a key (password) to be passed out of band: by
hand, letter, phone, etc.

	(The free trial version of SecurPC, which can be downloaded from
the RSADSI and SDTI websites, is enabled with only the limited key-length
RC4 encryption -- still the only type of crypto now allowed to be freely
exported outside the US.  The domestic product, as sold, offers full128-bit
RC4.)

	The major enhancement in the 2.0 version of SecurPC, as I recall,
is that it offers transparent, on the fly, decryption of a secured file, as
you open the relevant application on your PC.

	Suerte,
		_Vin

      Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <[email protected]>
  53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548